From: "Dave Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
To: <iris-talk@egroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 10:53 PM
Subject: [iris-talk] AIS: TBIS

Strictly as a point of information I am presenting
the following:
Source: 1998 R & I , page 84 a breakdown of types
of irises registered.

434 Tall Bearded
  82 Standard Dwarf Bewarded
  72 Louisiana
  48 Intermediate Bearded
  36 Aril/Arilbred
  31 Border Bearded
  26 Species Hybrid (Spec-X)
  25 Japanese
  24 Pacific Coast Native (CA)
  20 Siberian
  19 Species
  13 Spuria
  13 Miniature Dwarf Bearded
  11 Miniature Dwarf Bearded

How many of you would spend your hard earned
money/retirement income/etc
to attend a spuria convention where there would be
only 13 new
varieties. I sure as heck wouldn't. Right now
after Nancy's illness I
suspect that I have somewhere in excess of 2000
varieties and I also
suspect that it is right in line with the numbers
of those indicated
above. I try to grow as many different types as my
conditions will allow
but when I want to see the maximum number of
varieties of the type I
have most of and to be able to see the maximum
number of iris friends
that I have acquired over these last 35+ years I
most assuredly will not
find them at a "mini-convention".
One other point should be made about the TBIS
"meeting" in Portland.
Where else but in Oregon would/could TBIS be able
to provide the likes
of  Schreiner's and Cooley's Gardens, Keith
Keppel, Paul Black, et al??
The TBIS shot their bolt on the first try. What
are they going to do for
a follow-up??

Dave Silverberg