Martha Brown wrote:
> Dave,
> This is a very good point.
>  AIS Conventions showcased the 434 TBs and
> basically ignored the 420 non-TBs registered in
> that year.  Is that fair to the hybridizers and
> enthusiasts of the other 420 Iris?
> Especially when it is done every year?  Could
> there be a correlation between the lack of
> emphasis placed on non-TBs by the AIS and the fact
> there are not as many hybridizers or growers?
> Therefore not as many registrations?
> If AIS is going to continue to primarily focus on
> TBs then they need to eliminate AIS membership
> dues, implement TB section dues and every one only
> pays dues for the section or sections they are
> interested in.  Each section could then operate
> independently in the matter of conventions.
> Instead those people who cannot or do not care to
> grow TBs continue to subsidize YOUR interest in
> TBs with their AIS dues.  Does that seem fair to
> you?

I have only been to two AIS conventions, but I seem to remember seeing
TBs, IBs, MTBs, MDBs, LAs, JIs, and SPUs at least. So I don't think one
can categorically say that the others were ignored. The AIS also
sponsors awards for non-TB irises.

For whatever reason, the buying public has *generally* preferred Tall
Bearded iris. That is not to say that they didn't buy other types
particularily in areas where TBs don't grow so well. I don't buy SDBs
because they don't grow worth beans for me. Mark doesn't grow many TBs
because it is like throwing fish down an alligators throat.

Hybridizers *generally* respond to market demand. So one would expect
that they tend toward the more popular iris types.

AIS promotes all iris types. I think the fact that the other sections
are members of AIS serves to make everyone aware of the benefits of all
the different forms of iris, and promotes their cultivation. I hadn't a
clue about spurias, but came to find out they are great plants for my
dry California summers. And I don't have to dig them up every 2 or 3 years.

I think there are lots of benefits to everyone from a unified umbrella society.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society