Re: AIS: TBIS

In a message dated 8/17/2000 3:38:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<< We try to offer something for as
 many people as possible but it is pretty obvious that the large majority
 want TBs. >>

Well, folks, it's story time again.  Delete now if you HATE my stories!

Once upon a time, (many, many years ago) there was this 14 year old farm
girl.  She lived in a part of the country where the land was flat as far as
the eye could see, and the horizon was broken by the trees that lined the
river banks and the sloughs or drainage ditches. She had a love of flowers,
but the springs seemed far apart.

One spring, while visiting a neighbor, this young girl spotted something in
the expansive garden.  The bloom was two shades of blue and appeared several
inches from the ground on a long stem.  When she could close her mouth, the
young girl turned to her neighbor, "What is that beautiful flower?"  "Iris,"
came the reply.

You won't be surprised when I tell you that the girl was me.  Will you be
surprised when I say that the bi-tone blue irises, TB version, are STILL my
favorite flower?        (Just planted 2 rhizomes of CROSS CURRENT. Thanks,
Mike!) Although I have been exposed to and enjoy many different types of
irises, the TB is still my favorite.  Could it be because it was my first
love, OR maybe I'm 'genetically' predisposed to like blue blooms that are
suspended far about the ground? Much as I enjoy other forms of irises, the
'love affair' has been with the TBs.  No apologies.

We all like what we like, and it may not always be easy to explain why.  Yet,
we all have the right to our own preferences.  As Mike said, many of us seem
to prefer TBs. Maybe we all saw them first.

I'm too busy enjoying iris season. Yes, I know it's planting time, but I
enjoy this time almost as much as bloom season--the planning, plotting,
planting, and drooling.  Ah, the new and old beauties I've acquired!

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA (The heat and humidity capital of the world)
zone 6

Find long lost high school friends:
http://click.egroups.com/1/8016/0/_/486170/_/966554090/