roots

I have a question about getting bearded irises to root.  I can divide a
clump. carefully plant the largest healthiest rhizomes and accidentally
leave a little nubbin sitting off to the side.  Weeks later the
carefully planted rhizomes are still sitting and the nubbin has rooted
itself in strongly!  It seems to take forever to get any newly planted
rhizomes to root.  Is there a secret in timing, planting or something?
I've been growing beardeds for eons and the problem seems to be more and
more pervasive.
I'm at the point where I never divide a clump, just pull off pieces and
"try" to get them to root.
Can someone help?!
Margaret Boehm
Wilton, CT zone 6