Re: TB:Millenium Contest

Last year Stockton Iris Gardens sponsored a contest open to new hybridizers
(people who introduced fewer than 10 varieties) in order to promote and give
attention to these individuals who, one sensed, had trouble getting noticed
in the award system which, more than anything, recognizes distribution.  The
varieties were to be judged in one year plantings in the year 2000 with a
single prize of $500, and in two-year plantings with 3 prizes in the
aggregate $1500.  Thus, $2000 for the year 2000.  (forget that I will need to
kick in an extra dollar for the year 2001, the real millennium. )  It was
advertised in Tall Talk (TBIS); also sent to club presidents.  An ad in the
AIS Bulletin was not published (I learned later that it was displaced by a
subsequently submitted ad relating to a petition/election challenge to TBIS
-- but enough about that).

Approximately 15-20 hybridizers sent plants -- about 60 entries, with as many
as 3 plants per entry.  They are of varying quality, although many did not
bloom the first year.  The judging is "blind" in that the seedlings were
assigned separate numbers by me when they arrived.  Remarkably, there were no
losses in the seedlings.

The only problem that I have sensed is that some contestants sent reblooming
material, which quality is difficult to judge by our panel.  In the event
that there is a worthy rebloomer that is out of bloom in the Spring, I have
contacted two of the judges who live nearby (Sid Dubose of Melrose Gardens is
7 minutes away; Elsiemae Nicholson is a similar distance) and they help me
evaluate it for special mention.

It is my intent to continue to receive new seedlings on an ongoing basis,
with a permanent cash incentive of $500 should the variety be deemed worthy
of introduction.  The winning varieties must consent to introduction or
co-introduction by Stockton Iris Gardens.  We may also use the winning entry
as part of a fund-raiser instituted by the TBIS this past year where we offer
4 new introductions from different hybridizers (who donate the stock of their
iris) for a set price of $75.00 (postage included).  TBIS sold almost 50 such
sets of introductions this year, and intends to offer another set next year.
 (Sorry, the sets were sold out and already sent by Stockton Iris Gardens two
weeks ago).

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/486170/_/966643336/