Re: CULT: IRIS WORM

>In a message dated 8/13/00 9:05:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>FrankandJean@webtv.net writes:
>
><< AS A NEW SUBSCRIBER TO YOUR IRIS-TALK, MAY I ASK  WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT
> A WORM THAT HAS INVADED OUR RHYZOMES? >>
>
>Frank and Jean,
>      I would like to second Dorothy Willott's advice.  I used to live in KY
>and found that infestations of the Iris Borer were far less severe when the
>Iris beds were cleaned thoroughly in the late winter or very early spring.
>Still, I had to used chemicals once per season.
>     Here in Florida, there are no Iris Borers, but I can't grow as many
>types of Iris.
>
>Mark A. Cook
>BigAlligator@aol.com
>Dunnellon, Florida   USDA Zone 8b      [Rain, 84 F]

Mark, in addition to cleaning the dead foliage, I also chop back my irises
to about 2"-3" tall in early October and have had NO borer this year.  And
I don't ever use chemicals.  Presumably chopping back the foliage &
cleaning up the debris at this time of year robs the moths of a place to
lay their eggs.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html