AIS:Subsidizing Needs

In a message dated 8/18/2000 8:38:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<< Instead those people who cannot or do not care to
 >grow TBs continue to subsidize YOUR interest in
 >TBs with their AIS dues.  >>

I know I may be in the minority, BUT I don't need the AIS or any other
organization to further or support my interest in TBs!  I'm quite capable of
doing that on my own.  It started without the help of AIS and maintained
itself, even before I knew the AIS existed.

Having said that, I joined the AIS in search of knowledge.  I joined for the
Bulletin!  It's true, as a result of information I gained in the Bulletin I
managed to expand my compulsion.  I'm a fairly resourceful person so I
probably could have obtained sufficient information without the AIS, but it
helped.  My favorite articles are the ones where hybridizers write about
their programs--what worked and didn't work. I found most of these in
regional newsletters and sectional pubs.

When I went in search of the information referred to in the current bulletin,
I found I have not read much of the contents for the last two or three years.
 Frankly, it seemed like there were so many stories about things other than
TBs that I quit reading them!  It's not that I have anything against all of
the other irises, or subjects.  I'm just not interested!  My right?  My
business? I think so!

Do I worry about subsidizing other peoples interests?  No.  But I don't chose
to read the articles.  I remain a member in order to keep a link with the
iris world, have access to the commercial directory, and to subsidize the
existence of AIS, which seemed to be loosing a large number of members each
year. (Before TBIS) Oh, Yes.  I like to look at the 'purty' pictures.

I understand your concern and frustration, I think.  But to all who are
concerned at the lack of interest others find in your favorite irises, I
would offer a suggestion.  There has to be a motivator, or a group of
motivators to effect change.  COOPERATE with others of similar interest to
expand your acceptance in AIS and the iris world in general.  It can work.
Just look at the changes in acceptance of rebloomers and space age irises.

You wouldn't believe the local interest that can be generated when you tuck a
few of these 'foreign' irises (rebloomers in my case) into the corner of a
public display garden.  In the beginning, I had to fight for that half a row.
 I still 'hear about it' from time to time, but we have people each year that
come to our rhizome sales just for the rebloomers. (And I was asked if I had
any more to add to the collection this fall)

NOW, I got UPSET, when people made fun of my efforts to hybridize rebloomers.
 National AIS more or less ignored rebloomers, but I was pretty much
ridiculed in my own region.  Many people didn't/don't want to grow rebloomers
and I understand that, but what I experienced went much further than lack of
interest.  I recall coming home from a particular fall regional meeting just
reeling and in a state of SHOCK.

I'd anxiously awaited the program for months, since it was supposed to be
about rebloomers.  I was expecting a positive and informative session.  I
wasn't prepared for the attitudes at the meeting. Some people were so
passionate AGAINST rebloomers that they could have been perceived as hostile.
The most positive remark at that meeting was a resigned "well, they're coming
and it looks like we can't stop them." Others responded in the typical
attitude, "It'll be a cold day in ____!"

Yet, we see more rebloomers and space agers now than ever.  Imagine that.

To each his/her own! OR you can't please all the people all the time!  (Wiser
people than I have spoken)

Good-bye to those that are still reading!  You have my undying gratitude and

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA (Where the weather gives us something to
complain about when we can find nothing better) zone 6