AR: amazing results

It worked!  I found a way to grow pure arils (and 3/4-breds) in my garden.

My first year I tried growing them in pots.  Big mistake because they
couldn't handle the wild spring temperature swings.

This past year, my second year, I tried growing them "underground" on a
steep hillside.  And they loved it!  By being buried an inch or so (almost
like a tulip) they were not subjected to all that freezing and thawing.
Many of them bloomed, some of them even set seed.  But best of all, *ALL*
of them have increased..... a sure sign that they are happy here.

Sure, it's no proof that they will thrive in the long term, I'll grant the
skeptics that fact.  However, it's certainly encouraging to know that I
didn't lose any of them (and I tried about a dozen different kinds) after
one full season.  Great results for another article for the ASI Yearbook.
:)

I have about a dozen more on order from the ASI plant sale.

I do have one complaint, however, about the arils... some of them had snaky
stalks.  But then, so did quite a few of my TB's this year... so I'm hoping
it was just a fluke of the weather.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html