Re: Symposium

In a message dated 08/19/2000 9:28:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
mmboehm@attglobal.net writes:

> Dennis wrote exactly how I feel about voting in the Symposium.  I
>  suspect many if not most of us started with AIS as TB lovers because
>  that was the only iris we knew.  Then gradually over the years as the
>  Bulletin has articles about other irises we join sections, find others
>  that do well for us and are off and running in the wide world of
>  irises.  At this point, I'm minimally interested in new TB's because
>  they don't do that well for me and so many new ones are not really
>  better than older ones.  Now Siberians are another subject.....   So my
>  vote would be meaningless.

This is why you let TBIS have the syposium so AIS can run a symposium of all
iris. I know this would be much harder to put together but I feel would be
much more intersting than just the TB symposium. I know the other class of
iris aren't as popular but I would love to know which iris of other classes
are competing with the TB's. Not only for my personal interest but my
business interest as well. Seems to me this would make much more sense.

Now this can't be done of course unless both organizations come to an
agreement. As I mentioned before why don't we write to the board members of
each organization to let them know how we feel.

Someone mentioned why doesn't TBIS let the people vote on this issue. We
voted at the first meeting that we wanted the cooperating status. Why should
AIS tell TBIS how to run the organization. What do you think would happen if
TBIS tried to tell AIS how to run their organization. Also I have heard why
doesn't TBIS let it's members vote on things of this nature. When was the
last time we got to vote on anything of a serious nature in the AIS? Why
aren't the judges of AIS asked what changes they would like to see in a new
judges manuel? I would think you would want to know how your judges feel as
well as your sections. Heck you might even get some decent ideas as
well...Don't get me wrong the manuel is great but I was always told you ask
the ones that do the work just as a common courtesy. I mean the judges are
the AIS whether we believe it or not but yet aren't shown the respect they
should get from the top or so it seems. HOw long has it been that you were
thanked by the AIS with a written thank you enclosed in the ballot? Just
small things will make any organization a better one. But this goes for all
not just AIS or TBIS.

Jim Loveland    Zone 5   Fenton, MO

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive
chemistry experiments.