Re: Fw: Re:Re:TBIS

Again, TBIS is a magazine, not a political organization.  Maybe an election
might be appropriate at some point, but the organization is in its infancy
and does not need to have its energy diverted by the political nonsense as it
feels out its mission and achieves its members goals.

A couple of points about the AIS conventions.  They are not really AIS
conventions.  The region or even a club hosts the convention and puts its
resources into it (often risking large financial losses), and invites the AIS
to be a guest.  AIS holds its administrative meetings and board meetings, and
takes over the closing night ceremony for its award presentation (presenting
awards from the year before which were published 9 months earlier).

For the average couple, the cost of attending is now close to $2000-$2,500.
$400 in registration fees, $800 in air travel, $600 - $700 in hotel costs.
$100-$500 in miscellaneous other expenses, including connection/car travel,
meals, etc.

I'm in the early stages of a working career, and I love going to meet iris
people from all over and consider it a vacation, but I wonder how many iris
people on fixed incomes can do it.

costs, I believe the AIS actually added an extra day for administrative
meetings.

These conventions are white elephants, to some extent, however much fun they
are.  But I think there is also a place for quick/weekend visits to iris
areas around the country, with a little thought given to the cost side of
things.

The "subsidies" from the large gardens you talked about re the TBIS walk
through, though appreciated, were not very big and equated to about $2.00 per
attendee.  It was their pleasure.  Part of the TBIS goal is to ensure that
the commercial gardens, which are vital to the hobby, are given the credit
they deserve.  These businesses are not money-makers -- they typically lose
money -- and in the past they have been taken too much for granted.

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/8012/0/_/486170/_/966745753/