Re: AIS:Subsidizing Needs REGISTRATIONS

> I know I may be in the minority, BUT I don't need the AIS or any other
> organization to further or support my interest in TBs!

We all need the AIS. For me, the biggest reason, often taken for
granted, is the system of registration. My first Siberian irises were
given to me many years ago by a family friend. She had ordered them from
some august purveyor of exotic plants (perhaps Michigan Bulb?) and
proudly announced that she had "all of them" which amounted to "the
purple one and the white one". Without the diligence of the AIS
registration program, I may still be working with my original set of
(mis)information!

My interest is mainly Japanese irises. (like anyone here didn't know
that already) In Japan, there was no system of registration and it is
not unusual for different plants to be offered under the same name. In
the long history of JI's, some names have been "recycled" several times
without documentation. Just imagine the confusion if each new
registration was named without consulting checklists for duplication.
Fortunately, the SJI publishes the Japanese Iris Checklist, lifting all
the AIS ensata and ensata cross registrations.

I recognize that I need the AIS, if just for the registration system. In
my opinion, failure to support the AIS is an implicit vote for
horticultural chaos.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva

Old school buds here: