Re: Digest Number 1195

Colleen--

No matter when the registration was made, the year of introduction is the
important date. Your description of the introductions could very well mention
the registration date as some irisarians might not be interested in
purchasing varieties which they perceive as being "old." The description
should also include the parentage, another clue for those who prefer being on
the cutting edge.

Sometimes hybridizers let things out of the garden which they later decide
not to introduce. I presume you have permission of the hybridizers to make
the introductions. I also presume when these unintroduced varieties were
shown as seedlings, as they would not be eligible to be shown in any other
class. (If these were AIS sanctioned shows.) A surprising number of varieties
appear at shows which have never been registered, although they have been
introduced. They should only be shown in seedling classes in this case.

I applaud your effort to help hybridizers introduce there things. Of all the
aspects of hybrizing for novices distribution is the hardest part. Even if
these hybridizers decide to introduce their own things, it is very difficult
to build distribution to a point that their introductions, no matter how
good, get noticed.
Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres

Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,
overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6349/0/_/486170/_/966782158/