Re: TB: CULT: Millenium Contest

> Last year Stockton Iris Gardens sponsored a contest open to new hybridizers
> (people who introduced fewer than 10 varieties) in order to promote and give
> attention to these individuals who, one sensed, had trouble getting noticed
> in the award system which, more than anything, recognizes distribution.

Thanks for describing the contest.

Most of us don't have California growing conditions.  Any thought given
to the next step - finding out how these new creations perform in the
other regions of the country?  From these past few years of discussion,
the 'growing regions' for TBs seem to fall into 5 categories: (1) west
coast iris heaven; (2) viciously hot summers/dry; (3) viciously cold
winters/fairly dry; (4) viciously cold winters/wet; and (5) viciously
humid & hot summers/wet year round (except for droughts).  With the
rollercoaster alternating misery of too warm/too cold and too wet/too
dry thrown in on top of the others.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone /78
<G> I do love using the subject line of TB CULT <g>

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive
chemistry experiments.