Re: TB: Symposium

>In a message dated 08/19/2000 9:28:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
>mmboehm@attglobal.net writes:
>> Dennis wrote exactly how I feel about voting in the Symposium.  I
>>  suspect many if not most of us started with AIS as TB lovers because
>>  that was the only iris we knew.  Then gradually over the years as the
>>  Bulletin has articles about other irises we join sections, find others
>>  that do well for us and are off and running in the wide world of
>>  irises.  At this point, I'm minimally interested in new TB's because
>>  they don't do that well for me and so many new ones are not really
>>  better than older ones.  Now Siberians are another subject.....   So my
>>  vote would be meaningless.
>This is why you let TBIS have the syposium so AIS can run a symposium of all
>iris. I know this would be much harder to put together but I feel would be
>much more intersting than just the TB symposium. I know the other class of
>iris aren't as popular but I would love to know which iris of other classes
>are competing with the TB's. Not only for my personal interest but my
>business interest as well. Seems to me this would make much more sense.
>Now this can't be done of course unless both organizations come to an
>agreement. As I mentioned before why don't we write to the board members of
>each organization to let them know how we feel.

There's a very easy way (I think) to hold an all-iris symposium.  Just have
people write-in their top-10 or top-25 irises... whether it's an introduced
cultivar or just a species... then tabulate the results.  We did this right
here on Iris-Talk last year.

Last year I wrote to the AIS and all the section presidents, and suggested
the AIS do something similar... not necessarily to replace the TB
Symposium... but at least to give other irises a chance for their 15
minutes of fame.  I even volunteered to do all the tabulating for this
task.  Much to my dismay I got very few responses from the powers that
be... and one of them was rather nasty.  At any rate, my now year-old
proposal still has not been brought before the AIS Board... but my name
finally appeared in the Bulletin minutes with the promise of discussing it
later this fall.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6