Re: Re: AIS:Subsidizing

>I grow TB,BB,IB, MDB,SDB,MTB,LA, SPU, and 6 Species. I have less than 300
>square feet to plant. I am getting very picky on what I plant.
>
>A clump of DUSKYCHALENGER Make a statement, A clump of I. FULVA does not in
>my opinion. But that's what it is all about. We grow what we can and what
>we like. I like TB's best, I. CRESTATA  next. The others I grow for
>something different with different bloom times. I belong to AIS and they do
>not make me grow anything.

I totally agree with you.  But then Dusky Challenger is a modern hybrid,
and I. fulva is a natural wild flower.  Today's modern LA hybrids sure give
the TBs a run for their money.  Also, I. fulva grows best as a pond plant,
which would kill TBs.  And I. cristata is a woodland plant, where TBs would
not grow well.

My whole point is that the AIS Bulletin should really celebrate the
diversity of the iris world instead of focusing on just one kind.  Feature
articles on pond gardening or shade gardening would be wonderful.  Maybe
even make them regular columns?  Or how about an article in each bulletin
dedicated to a species iris... like an article talking about all the
different kinds of cristata?  I would love it!

Of course the AIS doesn't make people grow anything.  But people won't grow
what they don't know about.  And the AIS should be promoting ALL irises.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html

http://click.egroups.com/1/8014/0/_/486170/_/966821760/