Re: CULT: IRIS WORM

>In a message dated 8/18/00 9:41:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>dkramb@badbear.com writes:
>
><< Mark, in addition to cleaning the dead foliage, I also chop back my irises
> to about 2"-3" tall in early October and have had NO borer this year.  And
> I don't ever use chemicals.  Presumably chopping back the foliage &
> cleaning up the debris at this time of year robs the moths of a place to
> lay their eggs. >>
>
>Dennis,
>     This could be very interesting for those in borer prone areas.  Does
>this harm the growth and increase on the Iris, or have the leaves fed the
>plants all they were going to anyway?  If this proves to be a way to grow
>Irises chemical-free, I am all for it.

It did not affect the spring bloom at all.  There were plenty of stalks and
flowers.  I suspect that by October the plants have pretty much matured to
bloom-sized rhizomes.  But I don't really know that for sure.

While it's only been 1 year, I think it's compelling evidence.  Out of
hundreds of clumps of irises, there were no borers, with no chemicals.
That just can't be a fluke.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html

Thinking about buying a house? Start with the Power of Yes.
It's put thousands of people into the homes of their choice.
Now it's your turn. Get your "Yes" at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/7763/0/_/486170/_/966822409/