Re: CULT: seedling spacing

In a message dated 8/21/2000 6:01:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
ddbro@llano.net writes:

<< 1.  How far apart do you plant the seedlings that are
 all the same>>
<< 2.  How far apart do you space the seedlings that are
 different from each other?

In both cases it depends on your intentions.  Much depends on available space
and personal goals.  ALWAYS chart and mark well.

Wide spacing has two advantages--to prevent over crowding and to prevent
mixing of varieties.  In this case, you only need the space for 1 year.  More
space is needed between different varieties.

1) With reselects, you want to space approx 6 inches apart IF you plan to dig
and replant the next year.  Just give it enough room for one year's growth.
This is a necessary process if you hope to introduce.  On the other hand it
is good to plant one rhizome where it can be left for at least three years so
you can observe it as a clump. Try putting one in your main planting so you
can judge it against other's introductions.

2)  I like to leave nonbloomers in the same spot, if possible, for another
year.  I hate to line out something that hasn't bloomed yet.  It takes a lot
of space for a possible dog.  Consider moving these as a clump, if possible.
If you must move them, I would plant each one as close as possible within the
seedling group, and give a foot to two feet between seedling groups.

Some hybridizers will not save seedlings that didn't bloom the first year.  A
sound cross can be worth a second year.  Some are worth making again.

Good luck, and above all--have fun.  Be ware!  Having your own seedling patch
can get you up before dawn in iris season.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA (Where the weather gives us something to
complain about when we can find nothing better) zone 6

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/486170/_/966859779/