OT-BIO and questions

Hi, I'm a new Iris home gardener.  I live near Dallas, TX where it has been over
a hundred degrees for the past 6 weeks and not a drop of rain.  I was looking
for a type of plant to use for landscaping that could survive in this climate.
Then I remembered my lone iris that had washed onto the property about 5 years
age.  We have several acres of land and it had stuck itself on the side of a
little gully and has never been watered or cared for.  Yet every spring it is
profuse with beautiful flowers.  So 2 weeks ago I dug it up to see if it might
be separated into several plants.  To my surprise it fell apart into 100 nicely
rooted separate plants!  Then I knew that I had found my landscaping plant.  I
looked in a nice iris catalog that I had somehow gotten in the mail several
months ago and ordered about a dozen exotic irises, but they were too expensive
to use in a big planting.  Then I happened to think about ebay and found a lot
of people with irises for sale at a reasonable price.

One of my purchases was 200 "antique Irises".  The seller had just purchased a
home built in 1855 and there was about an acre of irises that neighbors said had
been planted by the original owners.  I just bought a book on irises but it does
not address old iris varieties.  Can anyone suggest a source of information on
them?  Also, it may be a month before I can plant them because the ground is
like concrete.  How should I store them in the meantime?

Thanks for any help.  I look forward to learning about and growing irises.

Old school buds here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/8020/0/_/486170/_/966868462/