Re: TB: Symposium

TBIS has a Member's Choice survey for individuals to inform the Tall Talk
editor of TBs which are hardy/quality garden perennials, something which the
TBIS people thought was more important than a popularity poll.  The results
are compiled with some emphasis placed on Zone, and the varieties must have
been introduced more than 5 years ago.

The survey arose out of a concern that source publications such as Sunset
Western Gardening, etc., no longer list 3-5 modern tall bearded iris to
recommend for the gardening public even though such publications seem to be
able to do so for, say, daylillies.  (I will try to post the results here.)
The other reason we do not do a symposium is that the AIS viewed it as an
important participatory device for its members and the TBIS did not want to
interfere with that.

I think in the future the TBIS member survey is likely to ask members to note
one or two iris that they have recently grown that are "new and noteworth" so
that the results can be used by the Tall Talk editor.