Re: AIS: Satisfying Personal Needs

No rebellion -- and the foe thing doesn't ring true.  Take people like
Viriginia Messick, who more than anyone I know has been instrumental in the
founding and promotion of TBIS.  She is also a director.  As you know,
Viriginia has not missed an AIS convention in something like 40 years (and
holds the record in attendance -- although Bennett Jones in Oregon was also
recognized at an AIS convention for his attendance, too).

Keep in mind that the formation of the TBIS (by individuals who had voiced
their concerns for the better part of a decade to AIS) meant, implicitly, a
statement that they were not happy with the way in which AIS promoted TBs or
fulfilled the interests of TB growers/enthusiasts.  When you tell people,
implicitly or explicitly, you are not too happy with the way they go about
their business, it usually sets up bad feelings.  AIS acted immediately with
a heavy hand (see their AD HOC report in the Bulletin a year or two ago), and
TBIS reacted.

Given the deep caring by TBIS people for the AIS (and I include myself in
that group, and look at people like Ron Mullin who has devoted most of his
adult life to the AIS; and look at people like the Ernst Family at Cooley's
Gardens, who have devoted generations of efforts to the AIS), I wish that at
the start there were mechanisms to help the cooperation between the groups.
I do know that the TBIS group has moved past the political nonsense.

 I think that there can be a rebuilding in the cooperation department (not
helped by the recent AIS Bulletin).  For starters, the September Tall Talk,
at my suggestion, informs members of TBIS how they can join the AIS (while
the majority of TBIS members are AIS people, many are not).  I have also been
very interested in the comments of people on this line about the AIS
Symposium.  It may be that revisions to the popularity poll by AIS to include
recognition of other/non TB iris, may be an effort that leads to additional
cooperation.  I will continue to look at other ways to foster cooperation,
and believe, when the time is right, the parties will be able to act like
adults and work things out.

Back to iris fun.  The only iris in rebloom for me is Lady Emma, an MTB
ever-bloomer.  Nothing stops it in this climate.  Not the most attractive
flower (yellow-tan self with striations present), but bloom is bloom (and
eggs is eggs).  My favorite class of iris, by the way, are not TBs, but the
table iris.  I wish we had more of a winter so that they could really perform
to their utmost.