Re: TB: CULT: symposium

Abe Feuerstein wrote:
> The [TBIS] results
> are compiled with some emphasis placed on Zone, and the varieties must have
> been introduced more than 5 years ago.

I like the more than 5 years ago part, but Zones aren't enough.  Zone 8
in southern California is nothing like the humid wet mess in zone 8 in
northern Mississippi, southern east Tennessee, north Georgia & South
Carolina (we never hear much from Alabama that I remember).

Plus interior growing areas like Mississippi and Tennessee (as well as
everywhere else between the Rockies and the Appalachians) get horrid
temperature swings in the winter (and on into early spring) that fool
plants into luxurious growth only to be turned into black goo by
temperatures in the 20s.  Usually these swings aren't as severe in the
coastal growing areas, tho the east coast got some 'nice' ones this past
winter/spring.

While it's nice to encourage color breaks and all exciting new
developments in TBs, I sure would like to hear more about the really
tough growers that eventually come along in patterns/colors that are old
hat.  For example, we still don't seem to have any really 'good' pinks
other than VANITY (I know, there are several others that some folks have
great success with in some of these tough growing climates).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8 with apologies to all those who
are sick and tired of hearing my posts on the subject...

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/486170/_/966890071/