Re: AIS Registrations

<<  But to be sure the "science" part may be played down when thinking of
modern ornamental plant hybrids, as opposed to plants that play a more
important role. >>

We do not tend to think of modern ornamental hybrids as unique botanical
entities, in the same way that we think of Iris species, but they are
precisely that and the rules of iris registration reflect the rules of the
scientific community in this regard.

<< As a result, the elimination of commercial confusion because a primary
goal. >>

We as consumers are always interested in the elimination of commercial
confusion. There is nothing like plonking out coin for one of those fine
unique botanical entities and having it bloom something else. Some of it is
low-grade situational human error, of course, someone got the wrong tag on
the rhizome or whatnot, but other stories cause one to pause. I believe the
last time we discussed this a horrific tale was told of one large commercial
interest mixing the dregs of the season's harvest to be sold to
mega-wholesalers from whence those which survived would enter the mass market
under specific names.

<<Good idea about "International".  To be sure to eliminate confusion, you
to have a world system of registration. >>

Have we not already one for the genus Iris? I am speaking of the AIS, which
has been the official International Registration Authority for all irises
with the exception of the bulbous since the 1950s.

Anner, in Virginia