Re: Re: AIS Registrations

Didn't mean to leave the impression that "modern ornamental hybrids" require
a lesser system of registration, and of course the rules of the scientific
community must be given their place on the throne, but I do not know that
humanity would be worse off if, say, a Brave New World or Modern Major
General were released by a different hybridizer in another country.

I know people quite rightly take their iris plants seriously, but at the
mundane stage of crossing a modern TB to a modern TB, and getting a third
modern TB, I think the registration and naming process is really there to
eliminate confusion in the marketplace and to protect intellectual property,
rather than making it easier for science to make great gains in the pursuit
of non-decorative/aesthetic goals.   Just my opinion.  Besides, one Modern
Major General is probably one more than enough.

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/486170/_/966901165/