Re: AIS Registrations

<<Didn't mean to leave the impression that "modern ornamental hybrids"
a lesser system of registration, and of course the rules of the scientific
community must be given their place on the throne>>

Those rules have their proven utility, which does not mean that I am
asserting the primacy of science as such over other areas of human activity.

 <<but I do not know that humanity would be worse off if, say, a Brave New
World or Modern Major General were released by a different hybridizer in
another country.>>

If you mean you think there would be no problem if there were two irises
released with the selfsame name, one in one country and one in another, I
cannot agree. To me there does seem to be some clear potential there for
confusion. If you mean that any results of that confusion would be small
potatoes compared to some other issues modern humanity faces, who could

I have not intended to suggest that the acts of hybridizing modern garden
irises or naming them is a process by which science makes its most dramatic
contribution to the commonweal. I have only indicated that I understand the
process of recording the names of new irises to rest upon scientific
conventions. These conventions seek to define plants uniquely, which, I
agree, is a useful thing for eliminating some potential confusion in the
marketplace. Where I disagreed with you was in not being sanguine about any
innate capacity of the market to 'regulate chaos.'

<< Besides, one Modern Major General is probably one more than enough.>>

I've heard worse names for irises, frankly. The character was an utter ass,
of course, but with the number of Gilbert and Sullivan fanciers in the world,
it might float a short distance. Brave New World on the other hand is simply
depressing. One so wants to think of Shakespeare, but Orwell just keeps
getting in the way.

Anner, in Virginia