Re: Iris Identification

Tom,

You might check with some of the Dallas folks on this list.  It
gets pretty cold and I wasn't aware Dietes could live outside here
in Texas as you described it.  Was this in a very protected location?
Maybe I'm missing out on something here, because I thought it
would need to be pot grown here.  I'm about 150 miles west of
Dallas, nearer to Abilene and we usually have a couple of cold
spells which get well down into the low teens.  I was under the
impression Dietes couldn't take that much cold.

Your purchase of antique irises sounds really interesting.  Was it
200 rhizomes of assorted varieties (I'm assuming each rhizome
was not different)?  Did the owners say these had been planted
from around the time the place was built or have these irises been
continually added over the next few decades?  Up to the 50's or
60's maybe?  Or do they know?

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA