Re: CULT: HIST: 'antique irises'

Doanld Eaves in Texas said:
> Your purchase of antique irises sounds really interesting.  Was it
> 200 rhizomes of assorted varieties (I'm assuming each rhizome
> was not different)?  Did the owners say these had been planted
> from around the time the place was built or have these irises been
> continually added over the next few decades?  Up to the 50's or
> 60's maybe?  Or do they know?

Tom tells me that the seller of the antique irises is located in
Rogersville TN.  No names on the plants.   The person selling them has
only been in the house a short time and was not there when they bloomed
last.  She
says that she has about 20,000 to sell.  I wonder why they are selling
them without seeing them bloom.

Rogersville is a pretty small town - some of the neighbors might know
something of the history.  If there are that many plants, I suspect
they've been tended pretty continuously until recently.  Possibly grown
in rows for sale?

James Brooks - are you lurking and have you been to see this place?  Up
your way, I think.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/486170/_/966938008/