Re: Dietes in TX and the antique Irises

Donald Eaves asked if the Dietes came from TX.  No, I got them from a lass in
Orlando, Fl.  She claimed that they were good from zone 7 and warmer.  I'm zone
7 and didn't think about it until I finally got the technical name yesterday and
researched it on the web.  It is definately a zone 8 minimum.  They are planted
now, so I'll mulch them heavy this winter and hope for a few more warm winters
and then replace them with more adapted varities when they finally get bitten.

About the antiques that I got off ebay, the house was built in 1855 and the 97
year old neighbor says that they are all bearded varities of many colors and
have not been properly cared for as long as he can remember.  The 200 I got were
from all over the property so as to try and get various colors.  The new owner
who is selling the plants was not there when they were in bloom.  She says she
has about 20,000 for sale at $0.32 plus shipping.  My order of 200 got messed up
and I ended up buying 500.  I think it will provide inexpensive landscaping but
I have a large area to cover so will use named varities for the remainder.

If anyone wants to buy some of the antiques, let me know and I'll send you her
email address.  She is located in Tn.

Tom Greaves