re : Autumn only Bloomers

Howdy All,

Mike...... I think there is at least SOME point to a reliable autumn
only bloomer.  There are some people who collect "curios" at the very
least, plus sometimes having the TBs bloom in spring can mess up an
"organised" garden (please no-one shoot me for that comment) where
they could be planted but add colour to the garden in Autumn instead
of spring.

I really don't know how much cost there is associated in registering
and introducing a new iris, but if it isn't too costly I think that
there would be interest.  From what I have heard of rebloomers they
are unreliable and may or may not rebloom.  If an iris could be
depended on to bloom in autumn (and it was a desirable form and
colour) then I would definitely buy it.  I think that would add a
scope to irises that there currently isn't.  Reblooming from what I
know is a hit-and-miss affair, but being able to design a garden
around an iris that WILL flower in autumn gives a complete new scope
for iris planting.

Again, part of the solution would be to "stabilise" reblooming so
that
it happened every year, however as the plant then has to flower twice
a year I still think it would be too reliant on conditions.  If the
plant ONLY blooms in autumn then it is likely to bloom every year as
it is not trying to set itself up twice.

Either way, Mike can you send me seed (if it is ever possible to set
them in autumn) of crosses made between rebloomers and autumn
bloomers?  Particularly if they are likely to be in the darker or
black range.  Otherwise we'll never see them here in Australia as the
cost of quarantine for importation would be prohibitive for a "maybe"
market.

I can only find two other reactions to Mike's message.  No one else
have any ideas?

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia