BULB: Bulbous iris

Howdy Tom,

Bulbous iris do well here.  I have numerous types of I. reticulata
but
the I. danfordiae are a bit dodgy (to say the least).  Also the Iris
histrioides crosses are just as good as the I. reticulatas.

I love the I. reticulatas. They are little gems every year.  They're
in flower right now and always bring a smile whenever I go out in the
back yard.  Still more coming into bud though so they'll be around
for
a while yet.

Iris bucharica has now survived 2 years, but no flowers either
growing
season.  I'm now experimenting with different conditions to see if I
can get one of the two pots into flower.  I want to try more of the
Junos but other than I. bucharica they aren't freely available here
as
far as I can find out.

Dutch iris do REALLY well here and multiply like crazy (depending on
the variety).  I also have Iris xiphium (I think) and I tingitana
which seems to be going OK though I've only had it for a few months.

Personally I think the Dutch irises are wonderful in large clumps in
the garden.  We have "Apollo" in blumps that produce 30 of more
inflorescences each year.  They've done so well that I'm putting more
colours out around the garden to see how they do.  My favourite dutch
is probably "Casablanca" which is the cleanest white I've come across
yet.

Well that pretty well covers Bulbous irises here.  I'm always
interested in getting more types as I like a large variety of iris
species.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia
USDA Zone equiv - Zone 8(ish)

<<
Paul:

Here's a non-TB question for you:  which bulbous irises do you grow?
have often wondered why bulbous irises have languished for all these
years.
I grow the standards that are commonly available, such as I.
reticulata
and I. danfordii.  [By the way, how persistent is I. danfordii in
your
neck
of the woods?]

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....