RE: CULT: SPU

Hi Carol,

Lots of water is more important than lots of sun.  We've had no problems
with blooming the spuria species at all.  But they're planted in the
vegetable plots and therefore do get watered more regularly.

But this year, the combination of acid fertilizer (the ones labelled for
rhododendrons and azaleas) and the almost non-stop rain surprised us with
blooms on two of our three named spurias.  They were planted behind the TBs
and siberians and between explorer roses -- none of which we bother to water
much.  That part of the bed also gets some shade.  The spurias have now been
moved to another bed that gets full sun and is more regularly watered.

On the other hand, maybe they knew this was their last chance...

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (zone 4)

> Maureen how do you get spuria to bloom in zone 4?
> Carol Fisher Zone 4  Mio Mi Northern Michigan sand

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....
http://click.egroups.com/1/7009/0/_/486170/_/967038320/