MED: Table Iris?

> From: Paul Tyerman <tyerman@hotmail.com>
>
> Abe commented on "Table Iris" as being a preference to TBs.  What is
> a "table iris"? and why is it different to TBs?
> I've used the TB tag as there isn't one for Table Iris <grin>.

Paul,

"Table Iris" was the original label applied to the scaled down,
miniaturized versions of TB irises in the 1930's. The name for irises with
these characteristics in the current AIS system of classes of bearded
irises is "Miniature Tall Bearded" (MTB). They are defined as "plants 41 to
63 cm (16 to 25 in) tall; flowers not more than 15cm (6 in) combined height
and width; borne on slender, wiry, flexuous stalks 3 to 5 mm wide directly
under the terminal flowers and increasing gradually to 16 mm at the ground
line." Generally bloom with the TBs, though this is not a defining
characteristic of the class.

Traditionally, MTBs were bred directly from the older diploid bearded
irises, but more recently there have been an increasing number of
tetraploid MTBs introduced, a prime motive for which has been to expand the
color range of the class (naturally, any pink MTB is a tetraploid).

The designation "Table Iris" was meant to indicate that such irises were
more suitable for indoor arrangements and display than the larger TBs.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/0/_/486170/_/967038602/