Re: Re: Symposium ballot

This conversation is something I was going to be starting very soon

At the Dallas meeting I told the AIS board that I would make a proposal
for AIS-wide Symposium/Symposia not limited to TB at the upcoming fall
meeting. I definitely think it is a good idea.

Here are the thoughts I was going to start the discussion with:

If "The Symposium" is just opened up to all classes, it will be little
more effective than having all classes eligible for the Dykes medal.
Very few will make it. Not because they aren't great irises, but because
their popularity is more regional, and many iris growers have a TB
fixation. It's a fact of life.

My guess is that if there were a non-TB symposium, shorter beardeds
would dominate, but that is pure speculation.

If the guess is wrong, then a single non-TB symposium would do the
trick. If it is right, I would suggest one symposium for shorter
eupogons, and one for arils/arilbreds and beardless.

Or can parity be achieved by simply limiting votes to 5 per class, or
something like that?

All thoughts are welcome.

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, winterless Los Angeles

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....