Re: Re: Symposium ballot

Dennis Kramb wrote that the current AIS symposium only has meaning for people with enough money and land to be able to grow the latest introductions.  Not so.  The rules are clear that you must have seen the iris growing, not that you have to grow it yourself.  Very few of us would be able to grow every iris listed on the ballot, either in its present form or in any change that might be introduced.  Some of the things for which I cast my vote are not in my garden, but I have seen them elsewhere.  Limitations of money and space don't keep any of us from enjoying what we have observed elsewhere.  This is not to defend the current system as perfect, but let's not impose on it more defects than it may already possess.   Extremely rare, if not nonexistent, is the iris grower who has or even has grown all the varieties.  That would be well-nigh impossible for all but a few.  Growing the flowers isn't necessary; having an enthusiasm for them is.  And I can satisfy much of that enthusiasm by making it a point to visit a lot of gardens, without having to go a huge distance to do it.  Not only is that not too much to ask; it is a joy to do.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250