Re: CULT: only two days 'til winter

Hi Donald ,

If your seeds germinate after a month of leaving them in the fridge for
only 4 weeks by taking them out daily , consider this a bonus.  I've
never heard of this method but would  like to hear more details .

My TBs seeds germinated in moist paper towels over a period of 90 to 120
days in the fridge.  The  seedlings are large enough and hopefully ready
for a first grueling winter.  Had I not done the fridge germination ,
the seedlings would probably be much smaller than I'd like them to be.

I'd like to hear what other colder climate hybridizers do with their TB
seeds.

Chris Darlington
Zone 5
Blainville Quebec

Donald Eaves wrote:

> That tag line sounds pretty good in these parts.  However it only
> refers to those butter dishes of iris seeds which will go into the
> fridge for 4 weeks on the 25th and start the winter session on
> the enhanced germination try.  I'm worried they are too damp,
> but I scraped in the perlite and the seeds looked okay.  I wish
> now I had used some of the pods which I thought were strong for
> a comparison test instead of only trying those I thought might be
> marginal seeds to begin with.  It is a bit of trouble to take them
> in and out of the fridge every day for four weeks.  I hope the
> process has some success since when spring comes around in
> about a month, they start going in and out again.  Maybe I should
> plan a vacation now.  Someplace where it actually is cool and
> rains occasionally.
>
> Donald Eaves
> donald@eastland.net
> Texas Zone 7, USA