Re: CULT: only two days 'til winter

Hello Chris,

>If your seeds germinate after a month of leaving them in the fridge for
>only 4 weeks by taking them out daily , consider this a bonus.  I've
>never heard of this method but would  like to hear more details .

Well, not quite, I think.  This is a twelve week schedule as I have it
planned :).  4 weeks of stratification at room temps, 4 weeks at room
temps during the day and into the fridge at night, 4 weeks in the fridge,
then back in and out of the fridge every day.  If I understood what I
read, the some seeds should begin to sprout during the second period
of going in/out of the fridge.  This plan was put together with some
excellent archive material posted by Sharon McAllister, my last ASI
Newsletter and just a guess at what might be enough to mimic the
seasons.  Since if I'm lucky enough to have some sprout, it will require
wintering them in pots until they can safely be placed outside.  If it is
successful, it still would be a method I could only use for a few seeds
since space wouldn't allow more and I'd surely neglect some if I had
too many pots to see after.  I wanted to try it and I had some pods
with as little as one to eight seeds that I really, really wanted to maybe
get a plant from so I'm trying.  I used distilled water to soak and perlite
perlite dampened with distilled water to attempt to keep it with as
little contamination as possible.  But what I didn't think to do was take
a few seeds from one which had bountiful, healthy looking seeds to
plant for comparison.  So if the punies don't sprout, I won't know if the
method failed or I was working with poor seeds and was doomed to
failure no matter the method.  By far, the majority of my pods will
end up being soaked and planted in pots this fall and left out for
whatever the elements conjure up 'til they begin sprouting next
spring.  I don't think I have the patience to leave them in the fridge
for 90 to 120 days.  I may end up putting some out in the weather to
see if they might go ahead and sprout next spring.  One advantage
of the perlite is that you carefully expose the seed (is this cheating?)
to see if it has rotted or what.  Pretty hard to find those in soil.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/486170/_/967164589/