AIS: Registrations

--- hipsource@aol.com wrote:
> Have we not already one for the genus Iris? I am speaking
> of the AIS, which
> has been the official International Registration
> Authority for all irises
> with the exception of the bulbous since the 1950s.
> Anner, in Virginia
> ChatOWhitehall@aol.com
   Vince sez:
   Well, yes and no. While an iris from any country CAN be
registered, it does not mean that they ARE. Registering an
iris costs money, and if someone from France or Germany or
East Timor has no intention of selling their intro in the
states, they won't bother.
   Irises which are not registered are ineligible for AIS
awards. This helps push irises toward registration - for
example, the SJI has registered some JIs that were
introduced in Japan, are widely grown here, but had not
been previously registered in the U.S. We are also
fortunate that the major hybridizers in Australia, like the
Blyths and the Pryors, have taken an active role in
ensuring that their babies are registered and available in
the U.S.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
"I want to be Bob Dylan; Mr. Jones wishes he were someone just a little more funky..."

Do You Yahoo!?

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....