Re:Iris Plant Markers

Paw Paw labels--shown on page 51 of the July Bulletin--
At least 15 years ago when I finally started keeping the name on my Iris--I
was given some old, used, markers--# e--Rose Makers--that year I wrote on
the label part with a black grease pencil--well--some of the markers are
still out there--still with the name legible---and some with the name
legible which were lettered with Sharpies--their formula for their ink has
changed since then-so that the lettering no longer lasts like it used
to--(They also have some shorter ones # M, which are good for the short
Medians)
We were using the 'Rose Markers' in our club garden--but every winter some
of them would get mangled by the deer--getting their foot caught in the wire
part--so we changed To a   single, wider post-rather than the 2 wire
post--these will bend a bit when the deer foot hits them--but not as bad as
the 2 wire posts--
So--I would highly recommend the 'Rose Markers-- they can be written on, any
brand of label can be stuck on them--some persons put the iris name on both
the front and the back--so if one side fades away--the other side is still
legible--
Another use for the Rose Marker--every fall I go out to the garden which I
can see from my bedroom window--and adjust the markers--2", 4", 6",
etc--then, when I get up in the morning, I can look out the window and see
how deep the snow is--
Labels will last longer if faced away from the sun and water source--I had
been told that, but really did not believe it--so tried it--and if you face
the label part away from the sun--it does last longer--
Our club buys the labels in quantity--sells then at our Rhizome sale, or
sells to members at cost--
Carryl in western Montana  zone 3/4  still smoke all around--about 1/4" rain
yesterday with over a hundred new fires from lightening--sure would like to
see the sun again--

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/0/_/486170/_/967222047/