Re: HYB: Enhanced Germination

>Message text written by Sharon McAllister
>BTW, if you have a room that can be shut off from the rest of the house
>without the temperature dropping below 28 degrees F. there's a much easier
>method.  Just put the seed flats in a window or under growlights and let
>the natural temperature fluctuation simulate "spring" and "fall".
But this would still result in germination in the spring, wouldn't it?
I have an enclosed glass porch which would meet these requirements,
I might try this with some of the duplicate pod crosses and see how it
compares to planting them outside.  Is there an advantage to using
the more or less sterile mediums for starting them?  E.g. distilled water
soaking as opposed to tap water and a perlite medium instead of a
soil medium of some sort.  Also, should they be sealed off with Saran
wrap or something?  I find it more difficult to judge the dampness of
the perlite than with soil, perhaps due to lack of experience.  I did not
leave water entirely to nature in those planted in pots outside last year
because I believe it was entirely to dry to try it.  Still, the germination
was variable in the pods, from a very high percentage to none.  I don't
have a satisfactory answer for why that happened except for one pod
which was damaged by worms and dried prematurely.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7, USA and wondering how I will manage even the same
percentage of germination if the greater number of pods do result in
seedlings.  I need a climate change!