HYB: Enhanced Germination

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-talk@egroups.com
>But this would still result in germination in the spring, wouldn't it?
<

Simulated spring or the real thing?  By simulating spring in this manner
when it's actually fall outside you can get good germination well before
Thanksgiving.

Since
I have an enclosed glass porch which would meet these requirements,
I might try this with some of the duplicate pod crosses and see how it
compares to planting them outside.  Is there an advantage to using
the more or less sterile mediums for starting them?  E.g. distilled water
for
soaking as opposed to tap water and a perlite medium instead of a
soil medium of some sort.
<

I much prefer perlite.  Not only regulates the moisture content but has
given me a higher germination rate and is much easier to remove the
sprouted seeds for planting.

 Also, should they be sealed off with Saran
wrap or something?  I find it more difficult to judge the dampness of
the perlite than with soil, perhaps due to lack of experience.  I did not
leave water entirely to nature in those planted in pots outside last year
because I believe it was entirely to dry to try it.  Still, the germination
was variable in the pods, from a very high percentage to none.  I don't
have a satisfactory answer for why that happened except for one pod
which was damaged by worms and dried prematurely.<

I use refrigerator dishes covered with Saran wrap, which makes it very easy
to monitor moisture content.   If the underside of the Saran wrap is
completely dry, the flat is too dry.   If there's a slight film of moisture
the flat is O.K.  If the film coalesces into drops, the flat is too wet.  I
also cover each newly planted pot with Saran wrap to ease the transition,
removing it when the seedlings grow large enough to touch it.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/486170/_/967263825/