REB: Fall only bloomers

--- Mike Sutton <suttons@lightspeed.net> wrote:
> In the quest for everbloomers, we have come across a few
> iris that only
> bloom in fall.  The fall only blooming trait seems to be
> coming out of
> Bountiful Harvest.  Does anyone think this would be a
> viable trend?
> Mike Sutton
> Sutton's Iris Gardens
> Porterville, CA USA
> USDA zone 8

   V. sez:
   Probably wouldn't be here if BOUNTIFUL HARVEST is a
parent. BH was essentially a fall-only bloomer here,
because any fan with any size would send up a stalk in the
fall, even if it didn't stand a chance of being able to
bloom before winter. I had stalks starting to form as late
as November. There wouldn't be any fans left big enough to
throw stalks in spring.
   Some rebloomers tend to have a lot more buds on fall
bloom than they do in the spring. This was not true with BH
- I always got short, clumpy stalks with low bud count in
the fall.

=====
Vince Lewonski
vincelewonski@yahoo.com
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
"I want to be Bob Dylan; Mr. Jones wishes he were someone just a little more funky..."