Re: Cult: Iris markers (OT-Humor?, OT-Chat)

(Query to John:  What would be a good subject line for this?  It's not
really OT)

As a frequent buyer, I have become an aficionado of tags.

In addition to whatever the plant comes with, I take a copper tag (Lee
Valley, 50/$12 CAD) and etch the name on with my trusty, dried up SAP
ball-point.  The tag is wired around the rhizome before planting.  The
tag darkens through the year and does not stand out in the spring.  The
tag can be reused by rubbing it briskly over a spade.

Superstition:  Writes on the fan with a heavy pen.  Rhizomes are so big
that full 35 characters can be written on one blade.  Delivery is sooo
early, I have lots of time to get tags on them, but so many extras, I
need every minute.

Sutton's:  Wraps and staples white plastic tag around the base of the
fan.  Staples very difficult to remove, wish they wouldn't.  Tag barely
long enough to go around fan.  Holes in the tag allows the tag to be
pinned without problem beside the rhizome.  Very heavy black printing
that should survive to the next millennium.

Chuck Chapman:  Writes on the fan with heavy marker.  Includes tour of
garden as part of pickup.

Aitken's:  Wraps plastic tag around base of fan.  Tags colour coded to
the year of delivery (I think), very handy.  Tag can be pinned without
problem beside the rhizome.  Name printed in dot matrix, but remains
legible for years.  Easiest to plant.

HMW:  Writes on the fan with heavy marker.  Easy to tell the MDBs,
marker takes up the whole fan. (not a criticism by the way)

Joe Ghio (from last year):  Writes on the fan with heavy marker.  Far
too generous with glorious extras, couldn't get all the tags in place.

Perry Dyer:  Writes on the fan with heavy marker.  See Joe Ghio.

Linda Miller:  Heavy white plastic tag wired around rhizome.  Probably
don't need copper tag.

McMillan's:  Writes on the rhizome with heavy marker.  Big rhizomes and
excellent increases.

Keppel:  Writes on the rhizome with heavy marker.  Iris so distinctive
this year, didn't need tags.

I intend to check out Stockton next year.

Least Favourite Method:  Names written on paper and stapled to fan.
Don't think anyone uses this method any more; may they be blessed with 4
year-olds if they do.

Regards,

Sandy Ives in Ottawa  (where I can hear the Miller intros whispering
'Plant me, plant me')

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....
http://click.egroups.com/1/7009/0/_/486170/_/967305467/