Re: TB: Symposium

patsiris@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps for those of you who have not yet mailed your symposium ballot, you
> might write at the end of it that you think it would be a good idea to
> consider more than just
> TBs for the symposium.   If enough people did so, it might get their
> attention.

Not a bad thought, but the "they" who will see the comments will be the
RVP's, who (in general) are not well represented at the fall AIS board
meetings. (But go ahead and follow the suggestion--every little bit

But rest assured, I have got the message, and I am the one who is on the
hook to present a proposal to the board.

Which reminds me, I also promised a proposal on possibly re-instating
the Hall of Fame, which was a way of recognizing iris which stood out in
the Symposium for a period of years (Blue Sapphire, Stepping out, and
Beverly Sills come to mind). It provided a way for the Great Old Ones to
have an exemption from the one-miss-and-you're-out rule for dropping off
the ballot.

I would like advice both from old-timers, who might be able to supply
info on how the HoF got started, how it worked, and why it was dropped;
and from others, with thoughts on why it is a good/bad idea. FWIW, my
own thinking is that bringing it back is a good idea, since I have
thought for a long time that Blue Sapphire is enthrallingly beautiful,
and I suspect that it might have made it back into the top 100 given
another chance; and since the added work of keeping track of the HoF
will be mine (and eventually my successors) there is little cost to
anyone else.

Thank you all for advice already rendered, and for any more you can

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, winterless Los Angeles