Re: Plant Markers

Hello Iris World...

The absolute BEST markers for both Iris & Daylilies (heck! peonies, tulips,
daffodils, roses & whatever --- for that matter) are the incredible markers
designed and created by researcher GARY SCHABEN of "Gardens with a Northern
Exposure"...  He's a daylily enthusiast that got tired of marking and
remarking every other 3 or 4 years.

His markers are painted with a baked on type of paint that DOES NOT RUST,
does not fade, and lasts absolutely forever.  There are two different
attachable face plate covers available, either black or clear.  THEY DO NOT
POP OFF in 100 mph tornadic winds nor do they plop off when my Kat "Kitty"
rubs up against them for boundless hours.  The squirrels running for their
lives have not knocked them off either.

The curvy but single shank type base goes WAAY down into the ground and SO
FAR no squirrels have dug them up while stashing all their pecans for the
You stick Gary's markers in the ground and they STAY stuck in the ground!
The squirrels have knocked over (or pulled up) every other marker I've ever
used including EON, the silver galvanized markers from He!! that rip your
legs and arms to shreads (that Sooner State Iris Society sells), and even
those from Garden Fonts and a couple of three others I have used and spent A
LOT of money for...

Neither the flat black painted nor the clear plates EVER reflect the sun or
glare so hence, NO FADING THE LABELS, NO FADING the marker pens, the
sharpies, etc.  It's absolutely the cure to end all ills for the "losing the
name" problem that we ALL suffer endlessly...

The people that make those fabulous permanent name plates (green, black,
etc.) with the name, hybridizer, & year (that can cost over $1.00 each)
Bernard Holliday (I think that's his name) now offer Gary's markers with
their product and I believe are having good success.  Their plates adhere
perfectly on top of Gary's marker face plates and have not come off any
markers I have (and some have been on for nearly 2 years now...)

You can reach Gardens with a Northern Exposure (they are in Minnesota) at the
following URL....

Gardens with a Northern Exposure...
> Schabens - Gary Schabens' Northern Exposure Gardens

Their private e-mail address is:
Rita and Gary Schaben,  Monticello, MN
 >> schabens@sihope.com  <<

Buy in QUANTITY for the most economical price.  Don't let the cost spook you.
 This WILL be the LAST time you will ever EVER have to buy a replacement
marker.  They are fabulous!  Be sure to get a copy of his catalog (if it's
not already available on line)...

He has also created some of the most teriffic REUSABLE hybridizing tags,
REUSABLE pollen savers, and some other brilliant inventive innovations for
the modern hybridizer.  Have fun and enjoy!

Kath in OKC.... =^.^=    alias:  Kathy Poore,  AIS Region 22,  USDA Zone 7...