RE: JI:SIB: SPEC-X Cross

From:  vince lewonski

   I received the following message from Clarence Mahan. I
have included the original post for reference.

--- CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> Resultant offspring, if they
> were possible, would
> have either 26 or 52 chromosomes and, by all evidence, be
* infertile.

Ahem,

"Genetics" M. W. Strickberger (University of  Missouri at Saint Louis)
lists the *diploid* number of chromosomes for the following:

Man (Homo sapiens)			46
Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta)	42
Cat (Felis catus)			38
Donkey (Equus arinus)			62
Toad (Bufo americanus)			22
Mosquito (Culex pipiens)		 6
Wheat (Triticum aestivum)		42
Kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris)	22
Garden pea (Pisum sativum)		14
Evening primrose(Oenothera biennis)	14

Still with me?
"Iris" F. Kohlein lists the diploid numbers of the following as:

Iris milessii			26
Iris missouriensis		38
Iris psuedacorus		34

And this one also from "Genetics" is especially peculiar.......
Cockroach (Blatta germanica)		23 (male) 24 (female)

And now some words from our sponsors......

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be
obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at
will." --- Albert Einstein, 1932

"We don't need you. You haven't got through college yet." --- Hewlett
Packard excuse to Steve Jobs, who founded Apple Computers instead.

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." ---
Admiral William Leahy, U.S. Atomic Bomb Project.

"Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
X-rays will prove to be a hoax." --- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin English
scientist, 1899

Christy Hensler :)

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/486170/_/967392711/