JI: SIB: Hensler Experiments

Christy Hensler wrote:

<<Just wanted to let those who have an interest in the progress of the JI-SIB
seedlings know we have new images and info online at

I am aware that some long-standing controversy exists over these irises
although I have not followed all the ramifications thereof.

As I understand the issues, those knowledgeable about the subject doubt the
irises in question are indeed the product of an intespecific cross. They have
doubts because it is doubted a cross of these irises would be successful, and
also because the plants in question do not show much visual evidence of both
sets of genetic material.

As I understand it chromosome counts were done which confirmed the cross had
been made. Beyond that I do not recall the finer points. For myself and those
who are just tuning in, I would appreciate rehearing the answers to several

1) Exactly which Irises are the reported parents, and what is the provenence
of those plants?
2) What method of crossing was followed?
3) If chromosome counts were indeed done, by whom exactly were they done and
under what conditions?
4.) If chromonsome counts were done that confirmed mixed parentage, which of
the irises shown in the pictures were those confirmed?

Thank you.

Anner, in Virginia

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....