RE: JI: SIB: Hensler Experiments

From:  ChatOWhitehall@aol.com

>> For myself and those who are just tuning in, I would appreciate
rehearing the answers to several questions.

1) Exactly which Irises are the reported parents, and what is the
provenence of those plants? <<

If you mean where did I get them and what are their names, starts of all 4
irises in question were given to me by a local gardener named Eleanor
McBride. She remembers the Siberians as a gift many years ago from someone
in the Spokane chapter of AIS and the JIs as one of the Gurney's "3 for"
offers. There are links to photos of all the surviving plants on the page.

Since the seedlings show a tendency to cross only with species forms or
closely related hybrids, I've been using crosses to try to narrow the field
of what the Siberians might be if they even have names. Any likely
candidates will be grown next to the originals for comparison. The JIs were
most likely unnamed things.

If you mean "why I made the cross"... because I didn't know it wasn't
supposed work.  :)

>>2) What method of crossing was followed?<<

The initial crosses were done using pollen from both SIBs on both JIs. Only
the falls were removed and seeds were saved only from the JIs. I honestly
don't remember whether I opened the blooms myself. If I'd realized what a
fuss these would cause, I'd have kept better notes!

Following crosses were made by opening the blooms myself and breaking off
standards and falls.

A few people suggested that wind or thrips might be responsible for
pollination, so for the last few years (just to be on the safe side), I've
been using an improved method of popping petals off of the buds I've been
using. I've shown this before, but if you'd like to check it out again, the
directions are at http://www.povn.com/rock/is_cross.html. So far, none of
the stripped ones have set seed unless I've pollinated them.

>>3) If chromosome counts were indeed done, by whom exactly were they done
and under what conditions?<<

Counts were done on 4 plants. 2 of these look JI. One showed 24 Cs (leaving
little doubt mama is a JI) and the other showed 26 Cs. The other 2 plants
look Siberian. They both showed 26 C.

Sam Norris did the counts. I'd have to go through a ton of files to be
certain, but I believe he said he uses a method he learned from a Dr.
Randolph.

>>4.) If chromonsome counts were done that confirmed mixed parentage, which
of the irises shown in the pictures were those confirmed?<<

ADRENALINE RUSH (92JS1B), 92JS15B, and 92JS11A.

Christy Hensler

Open the door to endless possibilities for your home!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7726/0/_/486170/_/967415789/