RE: HYB: SPEC: Sam Norris

> Anner,
> Unless I'm mistaken, you can chalk up I. cristata 'Powder Blue Giant'
> to Sam as a discovery.
> Don't know if he's done any writing on these or how far into these
> projects he is, but some Sam's been working with are tet LAs, Paw Paw,
> and Hibiscus. I do know at least 2 of his LA seedlings can handle a
> zone 5. (normally a zone 4b here). :)
> Christy
> ----------
> From:  hipsource@aol.com
> I am rather interested in Sam Norris and his plants.
	I don't know much about the man either.  To his credit, also is one of the
most intense deep violet LA's ever.  MENTIDA  is from SIGNA seed
and was introduced way back in 1981.

	KENTUCKY CAJUN, a tetraploid LA, is out of MENTIDA and
was introduced in 1995.  KC does best in the coldest part of the
garden, and is one of the prettiest flowers in the tet group.  It won a
blue ribbon at the spring show in Memphis.

	I have also read that Mr. Norris converted some of his candy
lilies to tets via colchicine treatments and offered seeds to SIGNA
last year.  I have some of the plants, but they have not bloomed yet
but are growing robustly in spite of the continuous 105o heat wave
we've had for the past two weeks.

	So, Mr. Norris dabbles in a lot of plant material it appears.

	Good credentials, I think.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA