RE: SPEC-X: Christy's seedlings

>Not necessarily. I've heard hybridizers speak of dozens of crosses that
>should have been perfect but show no hybrid characteristics. The knee-jerk
>reaction is to throw the whole lot on the compost because they don't fit
>the stereotype. Anything that might have been learned is lost.

I would disagree--something has been learned, namely that the crosses
didn't work.

 To be
>perfectly clear... There are 2 distinct kinds of SIB types suggesting
>different parentage. *In controlled crosses*, the SIB types will cross to
>SIB types and the easiest crosses will be those who have exactly the same
>parents in common. They will not cross as easily to related pure Siberians
>and I have not been able to cross them at all to unrelated Siberians.
>The JI types show the same kind of behavior.

But do the sib-type seedlings cross with the JI-type seedlings, and do you
get both phenotypes segregating from such crosses?  In the original
crosses, from a single pod, are all the progeny of one type or another, or
are sib-types from siberian pod-parents and the JI types from JI
pod-parents?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College