That's not so funny - REPLY

Hi Wendy,

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!  What a to-do for you!

I can only share with you some experiences that I have encountered with others about the hardiness of TB iris in the hope of encouraging you.

Story 1.
A good friend of ours (a camellia hybridiser, in fact) lost his entire garden to a nasty bushfire some years ago.  All of his camellia seedlings (which represented his life's work as a hybridiser) were burnt to cinders.  In fact everything in the garden was reduced to ashes.  However, a few weeks later the TB iris started to shoot again and they still bloomed the next spring with great enthusiasm.

Story 2.
A member of our Society was going through a difficult time in his marriage.  He ended up leaving his wife and I suspect that this experience may have had something to do with it.  He arrived home one day to find that his wife had set fire to his precious TB rhizomes, then she had driven over them with the tractor and then the lawn mower.  He was heart-broken by her actions, of course.  However, a few weeks after this ghastly treatment the TB iris came up again and bloomed in spring.

Story 3.
Shortly after my own father died the neighbour to our La. iris garden (it was at my dad's place at that time) was caught pouring boiling water over the fence onto a clump of my La. seedlings.  A few weeks later the same clump was subjected to an unspeakable treatment - the rhizomes were jumped upon by a rather large person who was wearing golf shoes.  This clump of La. iris ignored it all and I have since registered the cultivar FIGHTING SPIRIT.

The object of the stories are - relax about the iris.  They are extremely tough critters and will more than likely bounce back for you.

I hope this eases some of the pain.

Cheers for now,
Heather Pryor
Sydney. Land of Oz.

Where summertime daylight saving took effect two days ago - in mid winter. I just love these Olympic games.....
Heather Pryor
Visit our website at http://www.pip.com.au/~irishaven