RE: SPEC-X: Christy's seedlings

From:  Bill Shear

>>I would disagree--something has been learned, namely that the crosses
didn't work.<<

Unless chromosome counts, DNA fingerprinting, or tests by back-crossing
have been done, there is no proof a cross *did not* work. A cursory visual
assessment alone is not enough.

This, I'll take one at a time...

>>But do the sib-type seedlings cross with the JI-type seedlings,<<

Yes, reluctantly in the F1s and oddly, in only one direction -- SIB type X
JI type - while F1 JI types will set seed using pure Siberian pollen.

This is the first year I've been able to successfully cross both F1 lines
(probably due to the power not going out last winter and damaging the
frozen pollen).

Those seedlings from crosses of INTAGLIO (92JS9A) and SEA SHADOWS (5 pods
resulted, BTW) will set pods on a number of the Siberian type F1s and F2s
and are ripening nicely. These seedlings, used as pollen parents will set
pods on the SIB types and will result in mature pods.

Pollen from the SIB types will set pods on these JI types but the pods have
(so far) ceased growth before the seeds are completely mature.

 >>and do you get both phenotypes segregating from such crosses? <<

I'll let you know in a couple of years. :)

>> In the original crosses, from a single pod, are all the progeny of one
type or another, or are sib-types from siberian pod-parents and the JI
types from JI pod-parents?<<

There were *no* SIB pod parents. Both pod parents were JI. The Siberians
contributed pollen only.

Christy Hensler